The former Justice Minister Anderson Torres, who was in charge of public security in Brasilia during last week’s attack on government buildings, was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of “omission” and “connivance”.
The ex-minister said on Thursday that evidence produced by police was taken out of context when his home was raided this week.
Torres’ arrest was ordered by Brazilian Supreme Court Justice Alexandre de Moraes on Tuesday. In his statement, Moraes cited Torres’ supposed “omissions” and “connivance.”
Protests last Sunday by Bolsonaro supporters culminated in the storming of government buildings in Brasilia. Andrei Rodrigues, the director general of the Federal Police, stated earlier this week that the various omissions, allegedly intentional, made by those responsible for public safety contributed to terrorist acts.
Police found a draft decree in Torres’ home on Thursday, which they described as an attempt to interfere with Bolsonaro’s loss to Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in the October election.
Anderson Torres believes the document was leaked and “taken out of context” after being seized when he wasn’t at home, and probably came from a disposal pile.
Upon learning of Moraes’ detention order, Anderson Torres also said on Twitter on Tuesday that he would interrupt his holiday and return to Brazil to hand himself in.
Justice Minister Flavio Dino had given Torres until Monday to return, after which he said he would have started extradition procedures.